Pokhara University (PoU), not to be confused with another PU (Purbanchal University), is among the reputed Universities of Nepal. The University is situated in Lekhnath Municipality of Kaski district, Pokhara.
It was established in the year 1997 under the Pokhara University Act, 1997. It is a non-profit self-governing institution and is partially financed by the Government of Nepal and by the revenue generated from the students and colleges affiliated under this University. Pokhara University runs multiple faculties under its affiliation which are listed below:
- Faculty of Management Studies
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities
All of the faculties follow semester system under this university. Students’ performances are evaluated throughout based upon multiple attributes which allow the students to progress at a pace according to each individual’s ability and improve the quality in their academic performances.
Planning and Program Division
Planning and Program Division (PPD) is set up under the Office of the Vice-Chancellor of Pokhara University (PU). The PU appoints as the chief of the PPD who is responsible to work as the member-secretary of the various committees that are formed for supervision, evaluation and monitoring of both constituent and affiliated colleges of PU. Monitoring and supervising the affiliated and constituent colleges, their programs and operations are the major activities of this division. It maintains the records of important information about academic programs and infrastructures of the colleges. It is the university’s designated body to examine whether or not the colleges have been operating properly under the university’s policies, rules and directives. An important task of PPD is to make recommendations to the Vice-Chancellor, Executive Council, and Academic Council for proving affiliation to the new colleges and additional programs to the existing colleges. Precisely, the PPD plays a key role in preparing plans, developing programs, and accomplishing the university’s goals and objectives in coordination with the Vice-Chancellor, Registrar, Deans and other authorities of the university.
Research is considered as a means to make a University education relevant and practically useful for society. Research and innovation also contribute to enhancing the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the entire University education system. Therefore the development of University education emphasizes that teaching professionals and university graduates increasingly engage in research activities that contribute to better knowledge acquisition, development, and also using the knowledge for solving problems.
Pokhara University Research Center (PURC) was established in the year 2012, under Pokhara University act 2053. The purpose of its establishment is to promote the scientific and quality research in all three existing faculties of the university.
PURC has mandatory authority to approve research proposals, conduct multidisciplinary research and monitor their progress.
To enable excellence in multidisciplinary research at Pokhara University
- Improve the faculty members’ research capability and their professional development with their research output and peer esteem by creating an environment and infrastructure that fosters and supports high-quality research across the full range of disciplines in the university.
- Support multidisciplinary research by building research teams and encouraging cooperation between university faculty members and collaborative research institutes so as to maximize mutual benefit.
- Promote the research expertise of the university to external parties, both local and international, including industry, while adhering to the principles of academic freedom and institutional autonomy.
- Promote the exchange of international researchers/students.
Roles and responsibility of PURC
- Conduct or facilitate to conduct interdisciplinary faculty research and institutional collaborative research activity in Pokhara University.
- Arrange the facilities, staff, academic human resources and financial aid to develop the culture of different research activity.
- Provide professional consultancy services.
- Fix and collect the consultancy and other service fees.
Manage the publication and sale of different research results/ products.
Pokhara University Research Center
Dhungepatan, Lekhnath, Kaski, Nepal
P. O. Box: 427
PH. No. +61-561046
Fax No. +61-560392, 61-561047